This week’s featured Mommy Recipe is Maria Kanno’s Authentic Omurice Recipe. Mamita as she is popularly called in my favorite food group is Maria Kanno, a Filipina living in Japan with her family. Like most of our readers, she’s also a mommy raketera and cooks for the Filipino community in Japan in her “extra” time. I’m really not sure how she does it. Answering recipe questions in the group alone and sharing her knowledge all the time seems to be a full time job to me!
Today. I’m sharing her Omurice which we really love at home.
Omurice is a Japanese fried rice recipe wrapped in egg omelet then topped with ketchup. This is another perfect breakfast for leftover rice. It’s very quick to do and you can be done with breakfast in under 20 minutes!
The softly-cooked omelete and sweet tomato-flavored rice complements each other very well, so I hope you will enjoy this quick and easy recipe!
Authentic Japanese Omurice Recipe
- 3 cups cooked rice
- 1/4 kl chicken breast (sliced)
- 2 pcs sausage (TJ hotdog) (sliced)
- 1 small onion (minced)
- 1 small red bell pepper(minced)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Dash of Knorr liquid seasoning
- Salt, pepper (Tancha meter)
- Cooking oil
- 2 eggs per piece
- Saute minced onions in preheated cooking oil till translucent and fragrant.
- Add bell pepper, sprinkle garlic powder and black pepper. Continue to stir fry.
- Add sliced chicken, followed by sliced hotdog. Continue to stir fry till the chicken is thoroughly cooked.
- Add cooked rice and mix until rice is heated.
- Season with salt, black pepper, Knorr Liquid Seasoning and ketchup according to taste. Cook for about 3 minutes more.
- Beat the eggs, season with salt and Ajinomoto (optional).
- In another NON STICK PAN, (to avoid ruining the egg wrap), heat some oil, and add the beaten eggs. Circulate the eggs in the pan while frying the eggs to make a round egg wrap. Don’t over cook the eggs. It should still be a bit wet on top so that it will stick to the rice when wrapping. Turn off the flame.
- Get the chicken rice mixture, just enough to fill the egg wrap. Place in the middle. Gently wrap both sides of the egg to the rice in the middle.
- Get a plate and cover pan. Tip and turn over pan to transfer the Omurice to plate.
- Design to your hearts content. Enjoy! ????