Callos is a special dish that only gets prepared once a year at our house. It is actually very simple to make but has so many ingredients that you need to prepare.
At the grocery store I passed by the canned beans section and chanced upon this canned callos. So now you’ll probably understand why it’s called a 5 Ingredient Easy Callos. Lol. I get a lot of easy food ideas this way, by walking the grocery aisles. This is my favorite de stressing activity!
Cooking the callos still took a lot of time, but I used the slow cooker so it really didn’t bother me.
5 Ingredient Callos
- 1 canned ready made callos
- 1/2 kilo tripe (cut in small pieces)
- 200 gms (1 sachet) Tomato sauce
- Red Bell Pepper
- Garlic and Onion
- Clean tripe by massaging with salt and vinegar. Wash thoroughly.
- Boil for 10 minutes then wash and transfer to slow cooker or pressure cooker. Add enough water to cover and a few garlic. I cooked mine with slow cooker for 5 hours on high. You can pressure cook it maybe for about 40 minutes for it to be soft enough for callos. Drain and set aside.
- Saute onion and garlic in oil, until soft and translucent. Do not brown. Add bell pepper until aromatic.
- Add the tripe and season with salt and pepper. Add 1/2 cup of water and let simmer.
- Once bubbly, add canned callos and let cook for about 10 minutes.
It was okay. Not exceptional but not bad either. Good enough to satisfy sudden cravings. It had a richer flavor because the tripe was slow cooked (anything is better when slow cooked). But I think I used the wrong tomato sauce (I bought Italian style). I should have gotten the original one and added maybe 2 tbsp of tomato paste. It was a bit sweet without it. Maybe a bouillon cube wouldn’t hurt either. I was debating with myself if I should put the bell pepper because of the 5 ingredient claim, but I decided to just lump garlic and onion together so it would be one ingredient haha! Turned out for the best because of the smell. It smelled like Christmas!