This Chicken in Sprite recipe is so Pinoy with a mix of salty, sour, sweet and spicy. Try something new in your kitchen today!
Once in a while, there would be a storm of food photos using the same recipe in the Philippine food groups with the #gayagaya tag. This is one of the recipes that hit us in the first quarter of 2017. It is a chicken recipe by Sir Ernesto Loro which was posted in another food group but I got in my favorite Ifoodala food group.
I cooked this using chicken quarters and thinking of cooking it again so I can take a picture of the whole thing with sauce. The kids were not able to eat this so next time I will remove the chilis. It’s a great dish for dinner and also nice to pair with beer.
Try it today and let me know how it went!
Chicken in Sprite Recipe
- 1 kg whole chicken (or cut up if you prefer)
- 1 500 ml Sprite or 7-UP
- 2 TBSP Reno Liver Spread
- 1 TBSP salt
- 1 TBSP Black Pepper ground
- 3 Calamansi
- 1 pc Onion Large. Quartered.
- 1 whole garlic Pressed
- 3 Chili Labuyo optional
- 3 leaves Laurel
- 1 bulb Lemongrass
- 4 TBSP Soy Sauce
- 3 TBSP Hot Chili Sauce
- 50 gms Butter optional
- 1 TBSP MSG optional
- 3 TBSP Ketchup
- Wash and clean dressed chicken
- In bowl, mix salt, pepper and calamansi juice. Rub this mix to the whole chicken.
- Arrange lemongrass, garlic, onion, laurel and chili inside the chicken cavity.
- In another bowl, mix soy sauce, ketchup, and hot chili sauce. Use to brush chicken skin. Set aside for 10 -15 minutes.
- In a deep pan, add 500 ML Sprite or 7-UP. Add chicken. Set to medium heat. When boiling, start timer to 60 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, turn chicken over carefully so we will get an even color.
- Leave the pot open for the remaining 20 minutes to see the liquid level. Turn the fire to low. Do not let the liquid dry up.
- Remove chicken at about 55 minutes and add liver spread. Mix according to your preference. Add other aromatics if desired. Use as sauce for your chicken.
- Serve with rice. Enjoy!