This Chicken in Sprite recipe is so Pinoy with a mix of salty, sour, sweet and spicy. Try something new in your kitchen today!
Once in a while, there would be a storm of food photos using the same recipe in the Philippine food groups with the #gayagaya tag. This is one of the recipes that hit us in the first quarter of 2017. It is a chicken recipe by Sir Ernesto Loro which was posted in another food group but I got in my favorite Ifoodala food group.
I cooked this using chicken quarters and thinking of cooking it again so I can take a picture of the whole thing with sauce. The kids were not able to eat this so next time I will remove the chilis. It’s a great dish for dinner and also nice to pair with beer.
Try it today and let me know how it went!
Chicken in Sprite Recipe
- 1 kg whole chicken (or cut up if you prefer)
- 1 500 ml Sprite or 7-UP
- 2 TBSP Reno Liver Spread
- 1 TBSP salt
- 1 TBSP Black Pepper ground
- 3 Calamansi
- 1 pc Onion Large. Quartered.
- 1 whole garlic Pressed
- 3 Chili Labuyo optional
- 3 leaves Laurel
- 1 bulb Lemongrass
- 4 TBSP Soy Sauce
- 3 TBSP Hot Chili Sauce
- 50 gms Butter optional
- 1 TBSP MSG optional
- 3 TBSP Ketchup
- Wash and clean dressed chicken
- In bowl, mix salt, pepper and calamansi juice. Rub this mix to the whole chicken.
- Arrange lemongrass, garlic, onion, laurel and chili inside the chicken cavity.
- In another bowl, mix soy sauce, ketchup, and hot chili sauce. Use to brush chicken skin. Set aside for 10 -15 minutes.
- In a deep pan, add 500 ML Sprite or 7-UP. Add chicken. Set to medium heat. When boiling, start timer to 60 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, turn chicken over carefully so we will get an even color.
- Leave the pot open for the remaining 20 minutes to see the liquid level. Turn the fire to low. Do not let the liquid dry up.
- Remove chicken at about 55 minutes and add liver spread. Mix according to your preference. Add other aromatics if desired. Use as sauce for your chicken.
- Serve with rice. Enjoy!
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.
The Pinay Mommy Blog
Relax Lang Mom is an everyday foodie blog for the busy Pinay mom.
My name is April. I'm a raketera mom, always busy with something and I blog about the quick, the easy, the simple. I'm here to help you relax and save your sanity!
Get your food fix, recipes, life hacks, homeschooling, and productivity tricks here!
I’m just a regular mom like you. And like you, I know, being a mom, everyday is a battle. And it’s not a job for the weary. With this blog, I want to reach out to all the moms out there, who, inundated by the perfect mom of ads, magazines, and social media, try to be all things and ends up depleted, exhausted, unhappy, depressed.
In the search of being a perfect mom, we miss the fun of watching our kids grow, leaving our marriage and relationships unattended.
And everything becomes an unending list to check off. We produce picture perfect homes, gleamingly clean kitchen, Instagram worthy food that we forget to celebrate little successes like finally cleaning that window you’ve been meaning to clean this whole summer, or getting your husband to fix the dripping sink, or your son fixing his bed on his own without nagging.
So yes, let’s all leave that perfect mom idea behind.Learn more
PEPT Test Schedule and PEPT Reviewer for High School
The PEPT test or the Philippine Educational Placement Test is an exam administered by the DepEd to put out of school youth back to the education system. If you have stopped your education (either High School or Grade School), you can get back to school…