I love Kare Kare but sometimes, for health reasons, and when we’re trying to avoid pork, I cook this Vegetarian Kare Kare Recipe with Tofu. I still get the creamy taste of peanut butter and peanuts with none of the cholesterol.
(If you’re looking for the regular Kare Kare, head here: Slow cooked Kare Kare Recipe Mama Sita (Oxtail Peanut Stew).
Vegetarian Kare Kare Recipe with Tofu
- Chinese Tofu cut up in squares
- Sitaw (String Beans)
- Banana Heart Blossom (cut up in 4 and pith removed) (Puso ng Saging)
- Mama Sita’s Kare Kare Sauce Mix (1 Sauce and 1 Powder) (Prepared according to instruction)
- Patis (Fish Sauce)
- Alamang Bagoong (Shrimp Paste) Original Guisado
- Garlic and Onions (cut up)
- Fry the tofu until golden.
- Saute garlic and onion.
- Add Banana Blossom, and Patis. Cover and let wilt for about 5 minutes. Add string beans. Saute for about 3 minutes.
- Add Kare Kare Sauce Mix (prepared according to packet instructions). Let simmer.
- Add pechay and tofu. Simmer for another 2 minutes.
- Serve with Alamang on the side.
If you’re doing a low carb diet, Tofu makes this a filling dish and you can eat this dish alone without rice. I love the crunchiness of pechay together with string beans.