When there’s nothing to pair with dry and fried pork at home, and I’m feeling a little deprived of vegetables (because kids and hubby only eat meat or mostly meat), a Nicoise Salad is a perfect partner to a quick fried pork chops. This is an easy and healthy recipe and can stand on its own even without parings because of the egg and tuna. Perfect if youre doing a low carb diet and is looking for a healthy recipe for weight loss.
What makes a great Nicoise Salad? Serious Eats have a very extensive opinion if you want to go and read. This recipe was from Chef Xavier Btesh of French Kusina. He recommends using the freshest vegetable you can find. The French beans can be found at Robinsons or SM Supermarket. My favorite here is the red and green bell pepper. They’re very crunchy and sweet.
- 2 pieces peeled tomatoes
- 1 piece spring onion, thinly chopped
- Half a red bell pepper
- Half green bell pepper
- 5 pieces small red radish, thinly sliced
- 10 pieces green French beans
- 5 pieces black pitted olives, sliced
- 1 piece hard- boiled egg, cut into quarters
- 1 espresso cup olive oil
- 1/2 espresso cup red wine vinegar
- Half a can canned tuna in water or 5 marinated anchovy fillets salt and pepper
- Remove the edges of your French beans. Steam beans in a bamboo basket or a strainer over a pot pf boiling water for about 10 minutes (or until they are aldente). Set aside to cool.
- Take the rest of your vegetables and rinse under cleat water. Remove your wilted parts and core and seed the bell peppers. Dice your bell peppers, peel and slice your tomatoes, slice the egg into four quarters and cut your green beans into 1.5 inch lengths. Drain the tuna or the anchovies.
- In a large bowl, place 2 pinches of salt and a pinch of black pepper. Add the sliced spring onions, green beans, bell peppers, radish and tomatoes, Then add your drained anchovies or drained tuna and top with the sliced olives. Pour the olive oil and the red wine vinegar cover your salad, cover with cling film, and leave in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. Just before serving, toss well and garnish with hard-boiled egg slices.
1 thought on “Nicoise Salad”
Pingback: Additional Filipino Thanksgiving 2022 Menu Ideas ~ Relax Lang Mom