My family loves anything crispy and fried. This crispy squid would disappear while I’m cooking. So it’s really better to prepare lots so we can still have some to eat after I’m done cooking.
Crispy Squid Recipe
*This is for a big batch. Great for a family Netflix party and goes well with beer!
1 Table spoon plus 1 teaspoon iodized salt
1/2 tbsp. MSG (if using)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 pcs. Knorr chicken cubes
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 teaspoon sweet paprika (or 5 spice powder)
2 1/2 cups water
3 kilo squid
chilled water or milk
2 cups all purpose flour
Oil for deep frying or fat for frying.
- Prepare marinade in advance. Combine the first six ingredients in a pan and simmer until chicken cubes is dissolved. Allow to cool down.
- Clean and cut your squid and marinate for at least 4 hours in the refrigerator. (I used packed squid from the grocery so I marinated it overnight while defrosting.)
- Drain the marinade and dredge the squid in flour.
- Dip in chilled water then drop in flour again.
- Then deep fry the calamari in batches, for three minutes:
- Put in paper towels and sprinkle some salt and black pepper while hot.
- Serve with garlic and vinegar or garlic-mayo dip.