Fluffy and light Japanese cheesecake recipe by Chef Nikko of The Nikko’s Baking Studio.
This is the promised other recipe by Nikko’s Baking Studio from their Maya Kitchen visit where Chef Nikko also shared the Caramel Cake Copycat from Estrel. As of now, still one of my top article in the site.
Japanese Cheesecake Recipe
- 1/2 cup Maya Cake Flour
- 2 1/2 tbsp Maya Cornstarch
- 1 bar cream cheese (250g)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/3 cup + 2 1/2 tbsp fresh milk
- 1/2 cup blended sugar (1)
- 6 pcs eggs, separated by egg yolks and whites
- 1/4 tsp iodized salt
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 6 pcs egg whites
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup blended sugar (2)
*Blended sugar is granulated sugar pulsed in the blender to make it finer.
- Pre heat oven to 325 degrees F. Grease line and flour an 8″ x 3″ cake pan.
- Sift together cake flour and cornstarch.
- In a bowl, soften cream cheese over hot water.
- Warm milk and butter. Not too hot, just enough to melt butter.
- Still over hot water, whisk the softened cream cheese until smooth.
- Whisk in egg yolks.
- Mix in sugar (1).
- Slowly add the milk and butter mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Add the salt, lemon juice and zest and mix until well incorporated.
- Remove from the water bath and sift the cake flour and cornstarch into the fold. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl with wire whisk attachment, beat egg white with cream and tartar at high-medium speed (6 with kitchen aid) until frothy.
- Add sugar slowly and increase speed to medium – high (8 with kitchen aid mixer) until soft peak forms.
- Fold in 1/3 of the meringue (egg white mixture) into the cream cheese mixture to lighten and gently fold in the rest of the meringue a third at a time until blended and there are no more white streaks. Do not over mimx.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake at the bottom rack at 325 degrees F for 40 minutes.
For better results and to avoid cracking – 325 degrees for 18 minutes, then lower down to 284 degrees at 30 minutes. Turn off and leave in the oven for another 30 minutes before taking out.