I once attended a class by a French chef who waxed poetic about the authentic French carbonara, without cream. But I just can’t accept it. My mind is refusing to acknowledge the authentic carbonara as real carbonara. While it’s definitely a tasty dish, my tongue keep expecting the cream.
Habit is really a strange thing.
If you’re interested to learn about how to cook authentic carbonara, head here: French Kusina’s Authentic Carbonara.
Anyway, here is the Filipino Carbonara recipe as we Pinoy’s like it.
Pasta FIlipino Carbonara Recipe
- 300g spaghetti, cooked according to instructions
- 1 pack 200 gms chopped bacon
- 6 cloves chopped garlic
- 2 packs NESTLÉ All Purpose Cream 250 mL
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup grated Cheddar cheese
- ½ cup water (or chicken cube broth)
- canned mushroom (optional)
- Cook pasta according to instructions, rinse with water and set aside.
- Fry bacon in a pan until crisp. Cut up and set aside.
- In the same pan, add garlic and cook until lightly browned. Saute mushroom (if using).
- Lower heat and pour in NESTLÉ All Purpose Cream, followed by cheeses. Add water and stir to combine. Let simmer. – DO NOT allow to boil over!
- Add most of the bacon to the sauce. Reserve some for toppings.
- Toss cooked spaghetti into the sauce until well-coated.
- Transfer to plate and top with remaining bacon. Sprinkle with some parmesan cheese. Enjoy!