Chicken liver is one of the “menudencia” food I like that no one wants at home. (Well, except for Nymeria, our dog). If you’re looking for an easy to cook Filipino food recipe, this is a good candidate.
I actually like chicken more than pork liver because its creamy and tasty. (or maybe not like it more but favor it more, cant’t decide haha!) Plus they’re really inexpensive and can fit a budget meal. Once in a while I get an extreme craving for it and I just make some eventhough I know no one else is going to eat it with me :(. I just give the rest to the neighbors or convert into a simple liver pate.
This Chicken Liver recipe is adapted from another of my favorite which is sausage with peppers and onions. Among my Pinoy dishes list, this recipe can pass as a birthday party recipe for the adults because they’re great as appetizer too. It smells so much better in person!
Chicken Liver with Beans, Peppers, and Onions
- 5 garlic cloves
- 3 white onions sliced
- 1 chicken cube
- 500 grams chicken liver (washed and soaked in milk for 30 minutes)
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 large bell peppers sliced (you can use green and red bell peppers)
- 200 grams Baguio Beans
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper
- Saute garlic in oil and add chicken cubes.
- Add drained chicken liver and and cook in high heat until brown. Add water. Let cook until liver is soft. (Some people prefer a just cooked chicken liver, if you are that, skip the water)
- When water is almost gone, remove the liver and set aside. (At this point you can cut them up if you want).
- Raise the heat, add a bit of oil and add Baguio beans. Saute. Add bell peppers and onion.
- Add soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce. Mix thoroughly. Cook until onion is soft and tender.
- Add back chicken liver.
- Season with salt and pepper as desired.