The crispy Ukoy, or shrimp fritters, is usually a snack sold as a street food in the afternoon by vendors on the streets. It can serve as an appetizer or partner with a vegetable recipe like Chopsuey or Ginisang Pinakbet sa Giniling (Tagalog) and you have a whole meal.
Crispy Ukoy Recipe -Shrimp Fritters with Sweet and Sour Sauce
- 1/2 kilo fresh alamang
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup Maya all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/3 cup finely chopped green onions
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped siling labuyo (optional )
- oil for frying
Sweet and Sour Sauce:
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/3 cup catsup
- 1 cup water
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1/2 cup sliced carrots
- 1/2 cup sliced diced red bell pepper
- 1 thumb-size ginger, cut into strips
- 1/4 cup sliced sweet pickles
- 3 stalks leeks, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons Maya cornstarch dissolved in 2 tablespoons water
Wash and clean alamang. Drain very well then add the rest of the ingredients. Heat oil in a saucepan. Shape the shrimp mixture into balls then drop into the hot oil. Fry until brown.
Prepare Sauce: Combine vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, catsup and water. In a saucepan, heat oil and stir-fry vegetables for 2 minutes. Pour vinegar, sugar, soy sauce, catsup and water. In a saucepan, heat oil and stir-fry vegetables for 2 minutes. Pour in vinegar mixture. Boil for 1 minute then thicken with dissolved cornstarch. Season to taste. Serve with shrimp fritters.
2 thoughts on “Crispy Ukoy Recipe -Shrimp Fritters with Sweet and Sour Sauce”
Pingback: Shrimp Fritters (Ukoy Tagalog) with Sweet and Sour Sauce | RelaxLangMom
Pingback: LangKalabasa Fritters (Ukoy na Kalabasa) Pinoy Dessert Recipe ~ Relax lang Mom!