One of the things I always get impressed about in food is the ability of others to layer different kinds of food to present a new dish.
This Pears and Apples Poached in Red Wine for example. It’s a fruit dessert can definitely stand on its own but added to this Turon and Ice Cream, they are heady and amazing.
If you have a bunch of apples lying around, and no one is eating them -this is a perfect dessert to try. Then just stock on the ref and use as needed.
Not in my house though. Here, apples disappear, and hidden apples also disappear without a trace.
This dessert has wine, I’d give them to kids maybe but just a taste. For adults, knock yourselves off!
While it’s not on the official list of the food for the recent The Maya Kitchen Culinary Elite Series for Filipino Flavors of Christmas, I wanted to share this recipe too.
You can replace the apples with guava, which is what Im really excited to try so we can have a Filipino Guava Poached in Red Wine.
- 2 cups Red Wine
- 1 cup White Sugar
- Juice from 6 Lemons
- 1 pc Cinnamon Stick
- 6 pcs Red Apples, peeled, cored and halved
- 10 pcs Pears, peeled , cored and halved
- Combine the wine , sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon in a sauce pot. Bring to a boil over high heat and reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer.
- Add apples and pears and poach for 30 – 45 minutes or until the fruits are tender. Remove fruits from the poaching liquid to avoid over cooking.
- Cool the poaching liquid and return the fruits to the mixture. Cover and refrigerate.
- Garnish with Mint Leaves.