Easy Spicy Garlic Buttered Tahong
Jump to recipe
Relax Lang Mom2021-08-30T17:26:37+08:00
Tahong or mussels are not a regular thing in our house. It is not grown locally and we have to import them from the main islands. So we love them when we get them. For some reason, they taste very homey, and because of their mild “ocean” flavor, it makes an excellent addition to many dishes. On their own, they are delicious and pairs well with a bottle or two of cold beer.
I cooked this buttered tahong before lunch but it was actually gone before we had lunch. I toasted some bread and dipping it on the sauce was such a happy thing for my endorphins.
Spicy Garlic Buttered Tahong
- 1 kg tahong mussels, cleaned
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 stick butter
- 1 garlic bulb minced
- 1 tbsp liquid seasoning
- 1/4 cup chili garlic sauce (any favorite brand)
- 1 tbsp Sriracha sauce or UFC Hot Sauce (optional)
- Clean mussels by soaking in water for about 20 minutes.
- In a pan, gently heat cooking oil and butter.
- Saute garlic until fragrant.
- Add tahong and cook until shells are opened.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix till about half of the tahong liquid evaporates.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and serve hot. Serve with rice or buttered bread.
You can make a shellless version like those bottled version that you can buy from the grocery by steaming the tahong first, then shelling the tahong meat from the opened ones. Discard those that did not open. Proceed as above.
© 2022 All Rights Reserved RelaxlangMom.com
Share This Story, Choose Your Platform!