How to Make Chao Fan
In my house, I call this the leftover fried rice. Because making this spicy chao fan recipe cleans out my ref out of leftover meat, and veggies. Chowking has brought it to the next level by adding frozen vegetables and these days, whenever I say Chao Fan, everybody comes to the table immediately, unlike when I say, errr, leftover fried rice. It’s all in the marketing, eh?
I love the hint of spice in this fried rice. Just right, not too overpowering. Sometimes, the kids doesn’t even detect the chili.
Anyway, here is the Recipe. Learning how to make chao fan is easy and cooking is really quick! Enjoy!
How to make Chao Fan Recipe
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 tbsp garlic, chopped finely
- 1/4 cup ground beef, or any leftover meat you have chopped finely.
- 1 medium sized bell pepper, chopped finely
- 1/4 cup carrots, chopped finely
- 1/4 cup green peas
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp 5 spice powder
- 6-8 cups cooked rice
- 2 tsp green onion chopped
- 2 eggs, cook as omelet
- Salt to taste
1. Fry eggs, cut into strips and set aside.
2. In the same pan, add oil, saute garlic and add ingredients 3-8. Mix thoroughly. Cook until vegetables are soft.
3. Add cooked rice and salt, cook, stirring, 5 minutes, until rice is fragrant. Add scrambled eggs and stir in.
4. Transfer to plate and top with spring onions.
I put the leftover rice in the refrigerator over night to make it easier to fluff for your chao fan fried rice in the morning. You can use frozen assorted veggies from the market. You can add onions if you want. I have a love hate relationship with onions, I dont want them in my fried rice. You can also skip frying egg as omelet and just dump them right on step 3 when the rice is hot enough. It’s just prettier to have it in strips. If you want it spicier, add more chili.
I like to serve chao fan fried rice with stir fried vegetables like Chopsuey, Out of This World Buttered Okra Recipe, Ginisang Repolyo (Pork and Cabbage Soup) or Ginisang Pinakbet sa Giniling (Tagalog). You can also top it with Chinese dishes like Beef and Mushroom or Beef with Broccoli.
Want more fried rice recipe aside from chao fan fried rice? See here: Curry Chicken Fried Rice or here: Kimchi Fried Rice Recipe.
2 thoughts on “How to make Chao Fan -Chowking Fried Rice Hack”
Pingback: Rice hack reduces sugar and starch from rice + my 3 favorite leftover rice recipe - Relax Lang Mom! Filipino Comfort Food | Home, Living, and Lifestyle Blog
Pingback: Beef Tapa Recipe (Tapa King) | Relax Lang Mom | Filipino Food Blog For Making Pinay Moms Life Easier