Cheddar cheese is one of the most popular types of cheese in the world and is a staple in many households, including the Philippines. In fact, we have a variety of local and imported cheddar cheese options available. We Filipinos love our cheese -and this is probably the only cheese that most of us recognize. (apart from the local Kesong Puti, that is)
When it comes to storing cheddar cheese, you may be wondering if you need to put it in the refrigerator. Most of the time, we buy it in boxes stored at room temperature so…
But the answer is yes, you should always refrigerate cheddar cheese. In this article, we’ll take a closer look at why refrigerating cheddar cheese is important, some tips for storing it properly, and the top cheddar cheese brands in the Philippines.
Why refrigerate cheddar cheese?
Cheddar cheese is a perishable food that is made from milk. It contains moisture, protein, and fat, which can all support the growth of bacteria if not stored properly. Bacteria can cause spoilage and lead to foodborne illness, so it’s important to store cheddar cheese in the refrigerator to slow down the growth of bacteria.
The ideal temperature for storing cheddar cheese is between 33°F and 40°F. When cheddar cheese is stored at these temperatures, it will remain fresh for several weeks. If you leave cheddar cheese out of the refrigerator for more than two hours, the temperature may rise to a level that can support the growth of bacteria. This can cause spoilage and make the cheese unsafe to eat.
Tips for storing cheddar cheese
Here are some tips for storing cheddar cheese to ensure that it remains fresh and safe to eat:
- Wrap it properly: Wrap cheddar cheese in plastic wrap or aluminum foil to help reduce air exposure and prevent drying out. You can also place it in a food storage container with a tight-fitting lid.
- Store it in the main part of the refrigerator: I know we often put the cheese by the door but the temperature in the main part of the refrigerator is more consistent than in the door, so it’s best to store cheddar cheese there.
- Avoid overcrowding: Don’t pack the refrigerator too tightly, as this can reduce air circulation and raise the temperature.
- Use it within a reasonable time frame: Cheddar cheese will stay fresh in the refrigerator for several weeks, but it’s best to use it within two to three weeks of purchasing it to ensure that it’s at its best quality.
Top cheddar cheese brands in the Philippines
We have a variety of local and imported cheddar cheese options available. Here are some of the top cheddar cheese brands in the Philippines:
Kraft Eden Cheese: Topping the list would be the definitive Philippine cheese. Kraft is probably the most popular brand of cheddar cheese in the Philippines, known for its high-quality and flavorful cheese products. They offer cheddar cheese in a variety of forms, including shredded, blocks, and slices.
Magnolia: Magnolia is a Philippine-based dairy brand that offers a range of dairy products, including cheddar cheese. Their cheddar cheese is known for its smooth and creamy texture and rich flavor.
Meadow Gold: Meadow Gold is a well-known dairy brand in the Philippines that offers a range of dairy products, including cheddar cheese. Their cheddar cheese is known for its smooth and creamy texture and versatile flavor.
These are just a few of the top cheddar cheese brands in the Philippines, each offering a unique taste and texture that can be enjoyed in a variety of dishes. There are a lot of new ones in the market though. Know anything we missed? Leave it in the comments!
Recipes that Use Cheddar Cheese
We use cheese a lot. Especially the shredded ones. I searched the recipes on the website and here are a few of my favorites!
- Pinoy Spaghetti -of course, this is one of the top uses for our cheddar cheese. Not even cheese sandwich, lol. My favorite is the Pancake House Spaghetti Version which I am searching for in the website but turns out that I haven’t posted yet since I started the blog. So anyway, here are the list of the Pancake House Spaghetti ingredients on my Evernote. Sorry!
- Cheesy Baked Macaroni – This classic dish is made with macaroni pasta, a rich cheese sauce, and topped with melted cheddar cheese. The dish is baked until the cheese is melted and bubbly for a delicious, comforting meal.
Cheesy Beef Quesadilla – This dish is a twist on the classic Mexican quesadilla, made with beef, vegetables, and melted cheddar cheese. The mixture is placed between two tortillas and grilled until the cheese is melted and the tortillas are crispy.
Cheesy Omelette – This dish is a simple yet satisfying breakfast option made with eggs, milk, and shredded cheddar cheese. The mixture is cooked until the eggs are set and the cheese is melted for a delicious and filling breakfast.
Beef Lasagna – Beef Lasagna is a classic Italian dish made with layers of cooked lasagna noodles, a rich beef filling, and a flavorful tomato sauce. The dish is topped with melted mozzarella and cheese, creating a delicious and satisfying meal that is perfect for family gatherings and special occasions.
These are just a few examples of popular Filipino dishes that use cheddar cheese. The versatility of cheddar cheese makes it a great ingredient for many different types of dishes, so feel free to get creative and experiment with different recipes. Whether you prefer sweet or savory, there is a cheddar cheese dish that will meet your taste preferences.
When shopping for cheddar cheese in the Philippines, consider the top brands mentioned above for high-quality and flavorful options. Whether you prefer shredded, sliced, or block cheddar cheese, there is a brand that will meet your needs and taste preferences. Enjoy your cheddar cheese in a variety of dishes, from grilled cheese sandwiches to mac and cheese, and savor its rich, creamy flavor.